This article assumes the following prerequisites:
- Myriad Anywhere Cloud has been configured, or you have correctly deployed Anywhere Self-Hosted.
- Users Permissions have been configured to allow key Users access to Myriad Anywhere.
- You are currently running Myriad Playout v5.23 (or higher) and Remote Edit Server (RES) v5.23 or higher.
In this article we primarily refer to Anywhere Cloud, but the same steps apply for Anywhere Self-Hosted.
This information is also available in a training video:
What Is Myriad Anywhere Pro Studio Control
Myriad Anywhere Pro Studio Control (referred to as Studio Control in this article) is an extension to the Myriad Anywhere platform that allows direct remote control of the Myriad Playout applications within your station. Specifically it is designed to allow the direct control of the ‘On-Air’ Myriad Playout system for the purposes of presenting live shows from a remote location using a supported web browser.
Studio Control allows authorised users to:
- View the status of the currently playing and ‘next to play’ items via the Dashboard.
- Directly view control the Media Players.
- Change active playout modes.
- Activate a Log Go event.
- Browse and trigger Favourites for playout.
- Browse search the Media Library.
- Browse the Media Wall.
- View and edit the log (all the edit features included with Anywhere Pro).
- Adjust segues and record Voice Tracks using the Segue Editor.
- Upload new media items as well as edit the title and timing information on the MediaWall.
In order to present a ‘Live Show’ remotely using Studio Control you will still need to use a 3rd party platform (such as cleanfeed.net) to create a bi-directional audio link to allow you to hear station output and contribute live voice links.
Basic Overview Of How It Works
Users use a supported browser (Chrome or Firefox on PC/MAC/Linux) to access a unique URL for the station that is hosted by Myriad Anywhere Cloud or Self Hosted.
Once they have logged in using credentials with appropriate User Permissions, they will be directed to the standard Myriad Anywhere interface.
The Connect To Studio option allows the user to select the Myriad Playout system they want to connect to. The list of options presented here is controlled as part of the setup process.
Once the User clicks on the Myriad Playout system they wish to connect to, Myriad Anywhere Studio establishes a connection to RES running at the station which in turn creates a connection to the selected Myriad Playout system.
This allows for bi-directional data and control from the Myriad Playout software in the studio to the Anywhere session in the user's browser with RES acting as the bridge between your local Myriad Playout system and the CPR session hosted on Myriad Anywhere.
In order to setup Studio Control for your station you need to take the following steps:
- Upgrade all Myriad Playout installations that will need to be remotely controlled by Studio Control to v5.23 or higher.
- Upgrade Remote Edit Server (RES) to v5.23 or higher.
- Enter a Station Enabler license code to enable the Pro features. You will need to obtain this enabler license code from Broadcast Radio.
- Set which Myriad Playout locations in your station should be accessible via Studio Control.
- Set User Security to allow access to Anywhere via individual or group level Security permissions.
- Restart RES and all upgraded Myriad Playout instances to enable the new features.
Upgrading Myriad Playout & RES installations to v5.23 or higher.
You only need to upgrade Myriad Playout installations on the PCs that you want users to access via CPR - so for example you must upgrade the Myriad Playout instances in the live studios but it is good practice to also upgrade the instances in production studios or admin roles.
Generally it is advisable to upgrade all installations to the same version at the same time.
- Myriad Playout v5.23 or higher
- Remote Edit Server v5.23 or higher
Once downloaded, run the installers on the appropriate PC’s to upgrade the installation to the latest version. You will need to quit the application during the upgrade process but all settings will be retained in the later version. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installations.
Enter the Station Enabler License Code
You will need to obtain a Station Enabler License Code from Broadcast Radio to enable the Anywhere Pro features. You will need a Station Enable Coder per ‘Station’ you want to provide access to.
Once you have obtained your Station Enabler Coder, follow the steps below:
- Click on Settings Menu >Station Database Settings > Station Database Settings.
- Click on the Stations Tab.
- Click on the Edit Details button for the Station you want to enable.
- If you have not entered a Station Enabler code before then the status will be displayed as ‘No extra features enabled’. Click on the Manage Enabler Code
- Paste in the provided Station Enabler code into the License Key field and click on Install.
- Once the Station Enabler code has been authenticated with our servers, the license expiry will be shown in the License Status. Once you are happy, click Close.
- Your newly enabled features will be displayed in the Station Enabler section. You can also use this section to renew or upgrade your license to add additional features.
- Click on OK to close the Stations Details window but don’t close the Station Database Settings window as you will need to use it again in the next step!
Enable Playout Locations for Studio Control Remote access
Hopefully you already have the Station Database Settings window left open from the previous step? If not then click on Settings Menu > Station Database Settings > Station Database Settings.
- Click on the Locations tab
- Here you will see a list of all the ‘locations’ that currently have Myriad Playout installed at your station. You can use this tab to set suitable names for each locations, decide whether they are visible, set whether the should be accessible remotely and finally whether the location should appear in the Smart Transfer list for smooth switching of active playout locations. In this instance we are interested in the Remote column.
- Tick the Remote Column option for the locations of the Myriad Playout installations that you would like to be accessible via CPR.
- Click on OK to close the Database Settings window.
Set User Security Permissions To Allow Studio Control Access
This can be done on a group level or a individual User level.
To enable access on a User Group level, follow these steps:
- Click on Settings Menu > User Management > Directory Settings.
- Select the User Group you want to edit and click on the Edit Settings You can also double click on the User Group to access the settings.
- On the General Permissions tab you will see the Remote Access. Tick both options to allow access to RVT (Anywhere or the Myriad RVT application) and the second for Myriad Anywhere Studio Control or the Myriad Playout Remote application. You cannot allow Anywhere access without RVT access.
- Click on OK to close the window.
If you want to enable the same setting on an individual User (instead of all Users in a group) then follow these steps:
- Click on Settings Menu > User Management > Edit Contacts/Users.
- Double click on the User you want to edit.
- Switch to the Security Settings tab and select the Use Specific Permissions
- Click on the Edit Permissions button to access the specific User Permissions for the User.
- Follow the instructions above to set the appropriate permissions.
- Click on OK to close the Permissions window then Save User to save the changes to the User.
Restart all Myriad Playout & RES instances
In order to ensure the Station Enabler settings and User Permissions are enabled across all instances of Myriad Playout and RES, you should restart all the Myriad Playout PC’s at your station (you don’t have to do any you didn’t upgrade to v5.23 or higher). You must also restart your Myriad RES instance.
Access Myriad Anywhere Studio Control
To access Studio Control, first head to your regular Myriad Anywhere access URL.
Click on the Connect To Studio button to drop down the list of available CPR options. You will note that the ‘On Air’ option is indicated in the list or you can choose an alternative Location using the Choose Location option.
Once connected, Anywhere Studio Control will show you a ‘real-time’ display of the selected Myriad Playout system.
You can use this to edit and interact with the studio based Myriad Playout to deliver remote ‘live shows’ or manage automated programs.
Article is closed for comments.