The 'Group By' option is a feature built into the Library and the Media Reports sections of Myriad 5 Playout. It allows you to group the items displayed in the search results area by any of the available criteria.
Common uses include:
- Finding duplicate titles.
- Views Songs by Artist
- Combining criteria to view content in helpful ways (for example grouped by Artist & Year).
The following examples of using the Group By feature have been done using the Media Report window but the same features and processes will also apply in the Library window.
Using The Group By Feature
- In Myriad Playout Click on Reports > Media Reports
- Click on All Songs on the left hand Content List. This will display all Songs on the system.
- Click on the Show Group By button on the Results ribbon. This will reveal a new ‘Group By’ section above the search results. The Group By feature allows you to group search results by a field in the search results so that the results are displayed grouped by the selected criteria. So for example, if you grouped by Artists, all the Songs by a specific Artist would be grouped together in the search results. In the example below we are looking for duplicate titles so we would want to add the Titles criteria to the Group By Area.
- To do this, left click on the Title column header and drag it into the Group By Area.
- This will change the Search Results to display items grouped by Title.
Nested Group By Criteria
You can use Group By to organise your search results in lots of useful ways. Because you can nest the Group By criteria by dragging in more than one 'column header' it is possible gain valuable insight into your content.
In the example below we have first Grouped By Artists, then added Year as as a sub grouping. As you can see in the Search Results section, the content is not grouped by Artists with Songs grouped by Year under each Artists, so in this example, Shawn Mendes has six Songs listed, four of them were released in 2016, one in 2019 and one of them does not have a Year assigned.
To do this:
- Drag the Artists Column Header into the Group By Area
- This will organise the content by Artists. In the example below you can see all the Songs by Pink are grouped together.
- Next we want to add an additional Group By criteria to organise by year as well. Drag the Year Column Header to the Group By Area.
- You will see that the Search Results are now organised initially by Artists but also then grouped by year of release. In this example we can see Pink released Songs in 2000 and 2018 plus we can also see that three Songs do not currently have a Year set.
- You can continue to add more Group By criteria to allow you to organise the content in a way that is most useful to you.
Removing Group By Criteria
To remove a Group By criteria follow these steps:
- Drag the Group By Criteria you want to remove from the Group By Area to anywhere outside of the Group By Area You will know that you have dragged to the right area as the mouse curser will switch to a large black 'X'.
- When you release the left mouse button, the Group By Criteria will be remove from the Group By Area.
Once you have set Group By options, you can refine your Search Criteria and the results will be displayed using the selected Group By options.