The 'Catch Up' option on the built into the Web Player in Broadcast.Radio and optional Mobile apps, allows you to offer your listeners access to content uploaded to selected 3rd party content hosting platforms.
Both of these services offer free and paid for 'tiers' for hosting your 'on demand' content.
In this article we will show you how to sign up for an account on either services and configure your Broadcast.Radio Web Player to display your content to your listeners.
Before we get started on creating an account on PodBean and uploading our first content, lets review how to export a recorded show from Myriad Playout.
- Find the content you want to export on the Media Wall in Myriad Playout.
- Right click and select Export/Publish > Export as Media File
- Set the Save as type option to MP3.
- Select the location to save to and give it a suitable file name.
- Click Save.
- On the Audio Format window, set the Bitrate to 128kbps and click OK.
- Remember the location as you will need it when you want to upload the file to PodBean.
Signing up for PodBean & adding your first 'episode'
The first service we will look at is https://www.podbean.com/
PodBean is a podcast hosting service that allows you to upload your content which can be accessed in several ways including directly via the 'On Demand' tab of your Broadcast.Radio Web Player. PodBean offer a free 'entry level' service that has a limit on the amount of content you can upload the amount of bandwidth you can use. Their paid tariffs remove these subscriptions and offer a sliding scale of features.
To sign up for PodBean, follow these steps:
N.B. PodBean is a 3rd party service. The steps below are accurate at time of writing but PodBean may make minor changes to their processes from time to time.
- Visit https://www.podbean.com/
- Click on Sign up free.
- Use your Google or Apple accounts to sign up or add in your Email & Password to create an account.
- That's it, you PodBean account is now active and you are ready to upload your first Podcast.
- Click on the Create New Podcast option.
- As your PodBean account is new, you need to click on Go To Setup to add some basic information about your Podcast channel.
- Fill in the the required details and click Update Options.
- Next click on New Episode.
- Click on Choose file to upload.
- Browse to the MP3 file you exported from Myriad Playout earlier.
- Fill in the Title & Description fields and then click Publish Now. Your episode is now published on Podbean.
- Now that your PodBean account is setup and your first 'eposiode' is published, to add more episodes in the future, you will need to click on the New Episode button on your PodBean dashboard.
From here you can repeat the process outlined above to upload a new file to publish.
Configuring Broadcast.Radio to use your PodBean account
Now that your PodBean account is setup and you have uploaded one or more 'episodes', it is time to configure your Broadcast.Radio account to access your content on PodBean and enable the 'On Demand' feature on your Web Player (and optional Mobile Apps).
To configure Broadcast.Radio to access your PodBean account and enable the 'Catch Up' feature on your Web Player, follow these steps:
- Login to PodBean.
- On your main dashboard, click on the Podcast dashboard button.
- Click on the name of your Podcast channel in the top left to visit your public Podcast page.
- This will display a webpage that people can use to access your Podcast episodes. We need to get the RSS feed address for your Podcasts so click on the Subscribe button.
- This will open the 'subscribe' page which includes your RSS URL. Click on Copy to copy the RSS URL to your clipboard. Tip: You can paste this into a Notepad file to ensure you have it to hand when you need it later.
- Next, login to your Broadcast.Radio account.
- Click on Settings > On Demand and then click on the Add button.
- Select Podbean from the Add On Provider options window. Then click OK.
- Paste in the RSS URL (which should still be in your clipboard). Click OK.
- Give it a suitable Title, then Click OK.
- You will now see your PodBean feed in your list of On Demand providers.
Please note that you can setup multiple 'Podcasts' within PodBean and add each onto the list of On Demand providers. These will be aggregated on to the Catch Up tab in your Web Player (and optional Mobile Apps).
- Next click on Settings > Player to access the Web Player settings.
- Tick the Show On Demand option to enable the Catch Up tab on your Web Player.
- Now when listeners click on the Catch Up tab on your Web Player, they will see a list of 'episodes' uploaded to PodBean.
When user click on an episode, the Web Player will switch from the Live Stream to playing the episode instead.
- If you also have the Mobile Apps option enabled then you may need to enable the Catch Up option on the bottom menu on your mobile apps (it is on by default). Click on Settings > App > Options and then scroll down to the Bottom Menu section and check that Catch Up is listed.
If you do not see Catch Up in the list, click on Add button and choose Catch Up from the list of 'built in' options.
Your Web Player and optional Mobile Apps are not configured to display your Catch Up content.
In the previous section, we covered how to export a media file from Myriad to upload to a PodBean account to be included in the 'Catch Up' section on your Web Player and optional Mobile Apps.
The process is similar for MixCloud but Myriad 5 Playout support direct publishing to MixCloud from the Media Wall so once your MixCloud account is setup, you can publish content directly from within Myriad Playout.
Setting up a MixCloud account and publishing content from Myriad Playout
N.B. MixCloud is a 3rd party service. The steps below are accurate at time of writing but MixCloud may make minor changes to their processes from time to time.
To setup a new MixCloud account, follow these steps:
- Visit https://www.mixcloud.com/
- Click on Join.
- Enter your Email, Username & Password details (or you can use your Facebook credentials to create your account), then click on Sign Up.
- On the welcome screen, click on the Yes, I'm a creator button.
- Next you will be prompted to 'Upload A Show' which allows you to manually upload any audio files that you want. But in this example, we want to configure Myriad Playout to upload to MixCloud directly so click on Not Now.
- This will take you to your MixCloud Dashboard where your can manage your uploaded shows and manually add content. Leave the browser open on this page as we will come back here later in the process!
- Next, open Myriad Playout.
- On the Media Wall browse the Media Item you want to publish to MixCloud.
- Right click and select Export/Publish > Publish Item.
- You can add in additional information about your podcast such as Title, Description etc. When you are ready to upload click OK.
- If this is the first time you have used the publish to MixCloud process, you will be promoted enter your login credentials for MixCloud. You will only need to do this step once. When you publish content in the future, your credentials will be automatically applied.
- You Media Item will then be uploaded to your MixCloud account.
Once complete, you will be notified by Myriad Playout.
- Head back to your MixCloud Dashboard and click on the My Shows option.
- You will see that the content you just uploaded will be listed in the list of 'Shows'.
- Now that your first show has been uploaded to MixCloud, you need to configure your Broadcast.Radio account to include MixCloud content in the Catch Up tab in your Web Player and optional Mobile Apps.
- Login to Broadcast.Radio.
- Click on Settings > On Demand and then click on the Add button.
- Select MixCloud as the On Demand Provider and click on OK.
- Enter your Username for MixCloud.
Please note that the Username for MixCloud is your public facing username, not your email address used to login to MixCloud. You will find your Username in the top left corner of your MixCloud dashbaord.
- Next, enter a suitable name for the On Demand provider and click OK.
- You MixCloud account will be added to the list of On Demand Providers.
- If you have not already configured your Web Player to display Catch Up content then click on Settings > Player and then tick the Show On Demand option to enable the Catch Up tab on the bottom of the Web Player.
- Now, when someone accesses your Web Player, then can click on the Catch Up tab to see a list of Catch Up content from all your configured On Demand Providers (MixCloud and PodBean in the example below). If you have previously enabled the Catch Up tab for another On Demand Provider then you do not need to complete this step!
- If you have the Mobile App options enabled and have not already done so for another On Demand Provider, click on Settings > App > Options. Click on the Add button in the Bottom Menu and select the Catch Up (Built In) option to add Catch Up to the bottom menu in your Mobile Apps.
You can use a mixture of PodBean and MixCloud to include any On Demand content you like with your Broadcast.Radio Web Player or Mobile Apps.
Please sign in to leave a comment.